For our first attempt at having a garden, Mike and I planted a row of beets. The versatile vegetable can be cooked in a variety of ways, from baked to pickled, and served up in soups, salads or as a side dish. In short, it is a vegetable that would give my chef of a husband a lot of experimenting. He wanted to push the envelope for the buttery, sweet vegetable beyond a salad with goat cheese.
Or at least that was the idea — until King of the Kitchen was romanced by the thought of pickled onions. If you haven’t had this delightful little condiment — they are AMAZING and easy to do at home. It only takes a handful of ingredients and the onions are ready to consume within an hour.
Blending the tastes of warmed sweet beets and sour pickled onions was a delightful combination and recommended as a side dish for barbecued chicken, porkchops or even Thanksgiving!
- 3/4 cup (180ml) white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (50gr) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 allspice berries
- 5 whole cloves
- a small, dried chile pepper
- 1 large red onion, peeled, and thinly sliced into rings
1. In a small, non-reactive saucepan, heat the vinegar, sugar, salt, seasonings and chile until boiling.
2. Add the onion slices and lower heat, then simmer gently for 30 seconds.
3. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
4. Transfer the onions and the liquid into a jar then refrigerate until ready to use.
Roasting beets is an easy, peasy way of cooking beets that helps retain their natural flavors (more so than steaming).
Rinse the beets and wrap them in tin-foil with a bit of oil. Times may vary with the size of the beets and type of oven. But good rule of thumb is about 50 minutes at 375 degrees.
Bring It All Together
Top the beets with the pickled onions and some fresh basil garnish (optional). Enjoy!
- Spicy Turkey Burger with Pickled Onions (healthymommyhappybaby.com)
- Holiday Main Dish – Roasted Beets and Greens in Creamy Mustard-Mincemeat Sauce (chefdavies-tight.com)
- Quick Pickled Onions- recipe from Dana Velden (stofcnd.wordpress.com)
- How to make Quick-Pickled Red Onions (arkansasonline.com)